Monday 12 March 2007

I don't wanna be someone like you

I've been thinking a bit recently. I know thinking is very dangerous especially in the political climate we have at the moment (ooh! Rennies being all political) so I try to keep my thinking to nice superficial and unimportant subjects. Well, here's one such.

I've been wondering recently why it is I have such a negative reaction to people who drive cars like Beamers, Mercs, Audis, Jags. You know the sort I mean. I would call it resentment rather than envy. Envy suggests I want to be like them and yet the over-riding feeling I get is best summed up by the chorus from a fantastic Cockney Rejects song:

I don't wanna be
I can't stand to be
I don't wanna be
SOMEONE LIKE YOU!

You see, I don't want bleached blonde hair, sunglasses (probably very expensive ones), long talons, I mean nails (probably acrylic ones) et cetera, et-bloody-cetera. I really don't want to be someone like that. Those cars and looks are what I would call ostentatious displays of wealth or their husbands' wealth. So I resent them. No idea why, I just do. I would say that I'm the opposite of them. I can't pretend to poverty. I'm not poor, I'm comfortably off and I can afford the necessities of life plus a few luxuries, like my computer and the Internet. I like to show off my moderate means and my 2004 Hyundai Getz is a nice way to do it. It was the second cheapest new car available when I got it. The cheapest felt horrible to drive so I went for the second cheapest. It is pretty no frills, although it boasts electric windows and a CD player. However, when it's raining, you can hear how thin the roof is. The raindrops make a plonking noise on it.

So I don't aspire to big cars, holidays abroad (not even in Cambodia), designer handbags, shoes or clothes. I aspire to more tattoos (two just don't seem enough), more piercings, blue hair, lots and lots of punk gigs and a thoroughly Rebellious weekend in Blackpool this August.

Oh and I suppose I wouldn't mind a Honda Civic Type R, preferably about 7 years old but in MINT condition. I know I could have so much fun in one of those. I already do in Gran Turismo.

I can't get a video of the song I quoted above so here's another little clip which should amuse all like-minded people. Enjoy:

No comments: