Tuesday 13 March 2007

The Towers of London

Last night I went to see The Towers of London at Academy 3 in Manchester. This is not going to be a standard review with a list of songs because I won't be able to remember them in detail and I'm absolutely rubbish at "musical criticism". First, here's a picture of them. As you can see, they're all nice clean cut boys.








Now let me tell you about the mix of people there. Well, I was there and I'm an ageing punk and my older daughter was there and she's a complete emo. There were the obligatory Towers Clones but fewer than last time. I really do not understand people who feel the need to dress and wear their hair like their musical heroes. There were some youngsters with Mohicans, so I'll class them as punks and some who I could have sworn were skinheads, although they were not wearing the usual skin clobber. There were more emo-types and long haired gentlemen. I'm not sure what I would call the latter but I do like the term metal head. Then, there were assorted unclassifiable types who have the individuality not to wear a uniform and good for them I say! Oh yes and John Robb from Goldblade was there. Now I'm not usually particularly observant but I spotted him. I just hope one of the Towers reciprocates at the Goldblade gig I'm going to next month.



A quick word about the support band. They were called the Courteenas and they played enjoyable loud pop and they have a small but loyal following (have I said that before?) The lead singer was to my ageing eye total eye candy and I feasted my eyes for the full 45 minute set. He could sing too and they had one of those drummers I particularly admire. He can drum and sing backing vocals as well. One of the hard men of rock say I!



The Towers started off with I'm a Rat and, well I couldn't help myself, I went into full ageing punk mode, throwing myself around, pointing at the stage and screaming along to the lyrics at full blast. I kept this up through the second song and in to the third and then my dodgy back and knees told me they'd had enough and I moved over to the side away from the shoving of the mosh pit (a particularly frenzied and violent one) and danced slightly more sedately. I should emphasise the word slightly. Some songs evoked a more passionate response from me than others but there was only one I didn't know, a new one called The Bible. The songs I jigged about to, sang along to and pointed at the stage with most energy were How Rude She was, Air Guitar, Fuck it Up, Good Times and what must now be my personal favourite, Kill the Pop Scene. I love the sentiments of that song.



At one point Donny said something along the lines of "I'm glad you're all here, some people fucking hate us". Really sad that; I know there are plenty of people who do hate them. I think part of the problem is the lads' youth and they are rebelling big time so when they come out with things like the Sex Pistols aren't fit to suck their cocks (daft buggers) they are bound to rattle a few cages. I think the comment about the Sex Pistols was ill-advised. Without punk and therefore by extension, the Sex Pistols, The Towers of London would be at best a very different band and at worst they would not exist at all. Still, I don't expect humility and I like a bit of rebellion. It makes me feel young again.



Well, I've tried to keep this short. I really enjoyed the gig and I mean really. I think the Towers are under-rated and too frequently written off as either talentless yobs or jumpers-on of bandwagons. That's not really fair. They have masses of energy, they can play their instruments, they all have stage presence and Donny is a born entertainer. I love the mixture of the Ramones dress sense and the Rod Stewart hairstyles. Musically, the Rev is reminiscent of Steve Jones (I hope I don't offend either of the two gentlemen by saying that) and Donny has a bit of a Johnny Rotten snarl (ditto to those two gentlemen). I tend to watch them with an indulgent "that's my boy" kind of look in my eye but I'm pretty certain they know what they're doing on the whole and I take my hat off to them. Seeing as I like to finish off with a video, here's one I found on You Tube and I think it's rather charming.




1 comment:

Kev said...

I realise of course that this is a 3 year old review and towers of london are almost non-existant now but I have just read this and thought I'd say, thank you! you've just said what I have been banging on about to everyone I know for years. some people just cant see past the hate for bands that rattle cages and thats a real shame. The only thing i disagree with is your comment about how you dislike those people that have to style their hair the same way as their musical heroes. I personally have my hair as a cross between the towers look and noel fieldings at the moment and it took me a long time to find a hair style that wasnt emo or boring(as is the current trends of today)and although it annoys some of my stereotypical, mohecan wearing punk friends of mine, im happy with it. Thank you for the interesting read, even if i am years too late to read it!